Philippians 2:3-4

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4







Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Is Church Irrelevant

We are living in an "Entertain Me" world that has lost its way when it comes to what is important. Recently I was involved in a discussion as to whether the Christian Church had become irrelevant. I was really surprised at the number of people who quickly agreed that church did not always meet the needs of the general population. What struck me was the world view that has pervaded even this Sunday School class saying that the church must somehow always be non-invasive, all accepting and politically correct. While I agree we are called to love everyone, where they are, I must disagree that this should in some way override the tenants of Gods will for our lives.

As a Christian I cannot fully comprehend the price that was paid on my behalf on the cross. The God who created the entire universe and all time beginning to end from out of a void, chose to become a man so that I would know that he knew about life here on earth first hand. He withstood the horror of the crucifiction when he could have waved it away and ruled as king on earth in an instant. That God, Christ among us, deserves my devotion. I trust him to know more than me. I acknowledge that his plan is probably better than mine. (Probably here is used sarcastically) I must come to a place where the things and plans and worship of the world are of no consequense to me. Obedience to his will, written down for me in the Bible, is the sweet spot of life. If I try to make sense of it today it may not appear correct. When I look backwards over the glaring disparity between those times I was deferential and those times I was prideful... let's just say I am sad for what waywardness has done in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I love to be entertained. I even truly believe a church needs to be entertaining to draw people in. I just want to make sure that the church has a compelling program of growth; from entertaining to engaging to compelling to devotion to worship to service moving finally into grace. After all, Gods grace offers the peace we are seeking when we salve our conscience with entertainment anyway. Move away from the societal worship of insubordination and into a place of understanding that compliance with God's plan, sharing Grace with others, is what we really need anyway.