Philippians 2:3-4

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4







Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Is Your Brain First World or Third World?


I was sitting on the football field at our local high school watching my son's band concert the other night. I looked over my right shoulder and saw a couple of women fanning themselves with ornate Japanese fans. I thought, "Those are cool, I wonder how much they cost?". I turned around to share the scene with my wife, and over my left shoulder were another group of women fanning themselves with the paper plates that had just been used for their picnic. At first I was struck by the difference in consumerist mentalities each represented, but then I remembered that disposable paper plates were definitely a first world luxury item. How far afield have we gone?

Have you ever found yourself caught in a sudden rain shower and become overwhelmed with thankfulness for the offered umbrella? Shelter is what we need, not 9,000 square foot McMansions with a built in pretend tropical swimming hole in the professionally lighted and landscaped back yard. We need transportation, not a 2 million dollar Bugatti Veyron that will max out north of 270 MPH. If we really look at it closely we really only need one or two outfits and one pair of shoes at a time. Food, Shelter, Transportation and Love... not necessarily in that order.

Don't get me wrong, I aspire as much as the next guy... I just sometimes wish things would be simpler. I think we have the answer right between our ears; set the expectation at the "need" level and don't let anyone hit your reset button. Excesses can be nice, but don't allow yourself to be ruled by the glorious standards of extreme consumerism. It will be (is) our downfall.

Genesis 3:4-5
4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."