Philippians 2:3-4

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4







Friday, April 30, 2010

The Rock

In the still morning hush I looked out over a mirrored surface of the mist shrouded river. Moving molten over the rocks and riffles, still and glassy in the eddies and pools. Into this painting I stepped with a slosh and muffled gravel crunch. Into the shallows of the flow and then, again more hesitantly a second step. Deeper and more unsure my boot shod foot searched for a third purchase under the dark moving current. My eyes were flitting carefully between the murky evidence I could see at my feet and searching the moving waters for a path from rock to rock. Purposefully yet slowly I eased into the more swift and treacherous waters. My goal for the morning is the exposed round of granite that holds steady at the confluence of two deep channels, and forms the head of an even deeper slow moving pool. Each step that moves me closer to my goal brings the flow further up the edge of my faded green waders. Another sure pace moves my feet deeper into the shadows under the water, where the rocks are becoming as slick as the feel of the icy water. As I approach the conclusion of the mornings obstacle course I can feel the profound weight of the water seeking to roll me into the depths. Finally the heaviness began to lessen, and more of my waders emerged to shed their water along the near side of my stony fishing platform.

Climbing to the top I paused and reflected on how this rock was much like God’s place in my life. All around me was beauty… and danger. At any point a slip could have been disastrous. There are things in our life that seek to make us slip under the waters. If we keep our focus, remain steady and purposeful towards our goal (and all of our goals should be His will) there is a rock solid steadiness at the best possible location in the middle of the torrent.

God does not desire that we remain fearfully at the waters edge, wondering what life would be like. He seeks to gain our trust through the journey, so that when we reach the goal we are able to look around in amazement. He is there to hold us steady and bring us into the life he has in mind for us. Hold His hand; Step into your stream…